Tuesday, March 9, 2010

There goes Tuesday

So the weather went "south"..........so to speak. Sunday promised to be a sunny day but turned ugly like a stepmother gone bad. Monday was no better and voila, we got snow on top of it. COLD...I was cold like it was winter again.......I mean it is almost spring. I have tulips sprouting, trees budding, grass growing and oh, did I mention that every mare on the place is in heat?
Yes, I guess I did.

The cement guy came and layed forms today and soon we will have our washrack/shoeing stand. It will be a much needed addition and so valuable to us in the winter. Here I am already thinking about winter. Sick, isn't it? It never stops, honestly.

I got hay Sunday afternoon and the horses are not thrilled. Well......let's say the horses who have not been starved are not thrilled........the two newest inmates are eating it like it was carrot cheesecake. ...it will be a while before they turn their noses up at any food that is offered to them. Beaver, of course he wants it......he wants anything he cannot readily have.

Madam Mercy ..........well, we are trying hard to be friends. Sometimes I think I am making headway and then I think that she will always hate everyone. She likes carrots and handfuls of oats.........she likes the boys on both sides of her paddocks. She stands with her tail to one side and lifted, she walks with heavy hooves and her head down. She has no spark....no joy. We hope to change that. I am giving her Mare Magic and hoping it will help. She is uninterested in seeing her large paddock and spends her spare time standing by the fenceline of the other filly. I will see how she feels about sharing a pasture space on Saturday......maybe company will cheer her up....maybe not. I will deworm her again in a week and start her on some vitamins.

We had a new volunteer tonight.........welcome to Shelly. Shelly has a donkey who is a coming yearling and she lives near us. .........we hope she visits with the donkey when the weather is nicer. We love donkeys. I learned to ride on a donkey when I was a little girl.....his name was Pedro.
Iam still cold and I turned the fireplace on, put my flannel sweatpants on and a sweatshirt. I ate dinner while I fed the dogs, and then put them out/put them in for the night.

Oh, the week just goes by so quickly........never enough time. Friday is already booked and Saturday too... horses to go to the vet, horses to get hoof trims..........electrical work on the barn, cement to be poured..........fencing to put up, horses to groom.........more hay to get........stall pellets, rice bran and black oil sunflower seeds...........I need to get to the mall..........to the cemetary..........I need to work on my taxes.... oh boy....and who is going to bake cookies?
LOL..........NOT me. If I want or need cookies, you can be sure I am going to buy them.

I drove to work this morning, resisted the temptation to go to Starbucks.........and I must have changed the radio station a hundred times. One of those days when I can't stand to listen to the conversation craziness of some disc jockeys........one of those days you just want to listen to something good, something that gives you a smile from fond memories.........I finally end up listening to Don Henley.........singing "The Heart of the Matter". I love that song....it has good memories for me in a special way......

Well, I am off to remove my contact lenses........my eyes are tired.......a few more things to do and then I will DIVE into bed.

Pony Up fortune for tomorrow:

Figure it out.........don't depend on others to do it for you.

No comments: