Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Woeful Wednesday

No rain this morning,which is a plus because I really start to believe it could be spring......I start the morning with coffee, doing some laundry.......thinking about a million things I need to do in the house.....wash windows....vacuum.......dust the woodwork........just no time.......I empty the trash, empty dishwasher then off to the barn.
It is very foggy this morning, maybe the worst we have had all season. My headlights are dim and I can barely see the road in front of me. I love the fog......the mystery of it, the cool and damp feeling of it.........like being in a Sherlock Holmes novel.
The barn is quiet.......the light is just starting to come to the foggy sky and already I feel "late"...it is funny how you are trained to feel the time when you are on a schedule......the lighter it gets the more I check the time.......the stalls are not too bad in the barn......the loafing sheds........well....they need attention.
The chickens come into the barn and sort through the waiting grain buckets, picking out a few delicacies and hanging out..........the peacock comes too, but he keeps a close eye on me ......I am sure he thinks I might try to pick him up and groom him again....and I just might if I had the time..........but he is safe this morning.... I must hurry and get to work. I wonder if the peacock will be lonely for a mate this spring or if he will leave us or if the chickens will be sufficient? Frankly, I have no idea. I am NOT getting him a mate........I do not want little peacocks running around. NOPE.
Sometime today, I must make veterinary arrangements and backhoe arrangements for Jake. I hate this part.......it makes it all too real and it is depressing. I got into this business to save horses and yet, often it comes down to this......I guess it is part of the save after all....in some twisted backhanded fashion.
You wish you could wave your magic wand and make it all go away and you wish everything was a fairytale ending. Keep wishing.
I am tired today....feel a little under the weather. Perhaps stress, perhaps a cold........who knows. I try to ignore a running nose and a not quite right feeling.......I have plenty to do....no time to be sick.
I spend some time tonight with Jake, rubbing his neck and cleaning his stall again. He is getting so affectionate.......and such a character.........he pushes his stall door open and pushes me aside to go and check out the grain bin. He knows the minute the stall door is not latched. I bet he was a character in his prime. ...I wish I could have known him then. I give him extra treats and say goodnight.
I clean Max and Ollie's stalls in the dark with a headlamp........Ollie needs his face rubbed and when I don't do it long enough, he rubs against my back. I let him. I know it is bad manners but I pick and choose the manners. These horses, some of them go through so much.......
Max gives me a "don't you come near my hay" look and I say "nice try Max"........and continue cleaning. The air is cold and I am sweating.....I am ready to go home and relax a bit......forget about my troubles.
So here I sit writing.....listening to the Lab bark at critters in the woods.........I need to go and let her in.

Pony UP fortune for tomorrow:

Follow your heart in matters of the heart and do not mind what seems sensible.

No comments: