Thursday, April 8, 2010

Too late Thursday

gosh, I am behind schedule in almost everything..........too much to do ...my plate is full.

Wednesday we got the cement poured and voila.......now we have a shoeing stand and the beginning of a wash stall. It is fabulous! Thank you to Tom M. for helping us.........you are so generous. This weekend we will put a roof on it and frame the sides.

Okay, I made the little banty hen happy. I told you she was sitting on eggs and that she never hatches her own.........I had put two of another hen's eggs under her.......but I got an idea at the feed store when I saw the week old chicks........and so yes........I did it. I bought two chicks and at dark I slipped them under her and took her eggs. I kept my fingers crossed........the chicks went right under her (good sign) and she was quiet. I checked on her first thing in the morning and all was well.........she was strutting the chicks in the yard, calling to them and they were listening. ...and she was a force to be reckoned with near the other chickens. She has no idea that her chicks are unrelated to her and to each other...........a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock. ...and hey, I get two purebred chickens out of the deal.........supposedly hens! We will see.

The weather......oh........the weather. It is winter again. Cold, windy, rainy.................frosty......and maybe snow tonight. Good golly.......I am easily fooled as I thought it was summer already. We are supposed to get high winds tonight as well. I have to admit, I love the wind........the sound, the feel...the strength......the swaying of the trees.........yep, I love it.

Breeze will be going tomorrow.......and then next week Sully goes back to the Jones Farm........maybe there will be rest for the weary. I feel like I am burning the candle on both ends....some days worse than others. I think I need a vacation.........Hawaii..........Mexico.......Palm Springs........ yep........I do.

I think I have dewormed Promise about 14 times now.......she was probably the worst we have seen with worm infestation. Hopefully she can shed her coarse hair and gain some weight. I must get pictures. I am bad about getting "before" pictures.......but believe me, she looks bad. I am hopeful she can turn into a better looking filly. She does love her grain........she still frets about being away from Breeze, but I figure it is better to have a slow separation than a quick ugly one.

I put the boys on a diet because I did not realize what a fatso Church and Max had become. They are huge. I cut grain back and a little hay. They hate to diet......always hungry those boys are. Oh and Yukon too......he got a diet at the foster home. ...fat old man.

I was treated to Chinese food for lunch. I had vegetable Egg Foo Yung.........hmmm........thank you Becky.......my turn next time. If you have never tried Egg Foo Yung......you simply have to.......sort of like an omelette with gravy and vegetables........and I am sure it depends on where you have it. ...but I highly recommend the Emperors Palace.......good service and delicious.

The sun came out for a few hours today *Thursday and I didn't get much time in it.......it was still cold and windy, so not like I was going to get a sun tan anyway........but it was nice to see it after all this rain.

On the way home I listened to Boz Scaggs with "Lido Shuffle".......older than dirt......right?
I still am considering Sirious radio so I don't have to listen to dumb commercials. The last thing I want to hear is commercials when all I really want is music.

Tomorrow...........errands, visit Winston......feed store, bank..........clean the barn, maybe shovel snow.....who knows? I think I will purchase the posts for the arena and the fencing material, so we can be prepared for when the sun comes out and we are a little dryer. I can hardly wait.

Pony Up fortune for tomorrow.

Sometimes a lie is more pleasant than a hurtful truth.

2 comments:

Drillrider said...

AWwwwww...that's so sweet about the mother hen and her "adopted" chicks!

We have pidgeons and they have been sitting on eggs. Don't know if they are going to hatch, but they've been taking turns sitting on the eggs. We may have ugly little baby pidgeons soon....who knows???

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

You are doing great work. God Bless you and your animals.