Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A beautiful Tuesday

I am becoming boring ......speaking of the weather and how it affects me....so I will continue ad nauseum.....the weather was gorgeous today.....what a treat....is all I can say. I won't ask for more or complain that it might rain tomorrow. Today was beautiful...horses napped in the sun...pastures dried a little...

Ryan came back to the barn today and got a lot of chores done.....moved the manure pile, cemented some posts, cleaned water buckets.....loved on Grace and Promise......so nice to have you back......thanks for your hard work Ryan.

We have a new rooster. His name is Spike. He has been pretty low profile the last few days, getting to know the hens and we have been fairly unimpressed with his ability to "rooster" the hens. They ignore him mostly. He crows here and there. He is a small rooster......but today he came to life. Apparently he hates Ryan. Who would think? He has been fine with me and the other volunteers...but he went after Ryan today a couple of times.....Ryan sprayed him with the hose. We hope he will settle down? Shelli carried a broom after the attack......just in case.

Phone calls today and I have someone ask me to come and get their two horses....her kids are gone,....she has asthma, her horses are getting thin. I call her back.....no answer.......I say "sorry we are full.....ideas? Advertise them for sale, ask for help from the humane society, call some other rescues (who are probably full, as well),,,,,euthanize them......get a second job."
Umm......I have asthma too....believe it or not, I am allergic to horses.....dust, alfalfa......I have two rebuilt shoulders ...and hey, I still make it work. I work full time....manage my household and the farm......plus run a small business on the side.......You have to be committed and you have to want to do it and then you find a way. Honor your committment and take your responsibility seriously....make a plan. If you have kids or had kids.......it is the same responsibility...you don't just take your kids to a foster home when they become inconvenient.......do you?

Anyway, I am ranting......and there are lots of valid reasons that folks need help....maybe even a valid reason for today's caller......but c'mon...you have to try. It seems too convenient and too simple to just drop your burden and walk off.

Silk is eating well and feels much more comfortable with us. We will change pastures around this weekend to be a little more accomodating to pairs of horses.. Ollie and Max, Tarbaby and Grace, perhaps Silk and Promise........everyone loves company...at least until dinner time...they work it out eventually.

I would like to say thank you to those who continue to help us along.......Strohs, Cenex, our shoer Jim, Dr. Julie, Dr. Mike....Dr. Tooman......the Jones Farm, the Mowry's, Hannah J....my great group of volunteers....Mary, Ryan, Shelli, Caryn, Colleen, Briann, Angel, Sharon and Jan, Darleen.....we can't do it without you.

Pony Up fortune for tomorrow:

You may throw caution to the wind......it's all good.

No comments: