Saturday, June 12, 2010

Such a sunny Saturday

Ahhhhhhh.....sun.......blue sky.........no breeze.......perfect.
I get up late, after sleeping in (I needed it).....drink coffee, eat toast...head to barn.....listen to Earl Thomas Conley sing "What I'd say"......I used to love that song. ....my country music song of choice.

I take Grace's blanket off, knowing the day will be far too warm....throw hay, prepare grain.....feed chickens....feed cat.......clean stalls.
Today I go and get Silk. He will stay with us for three months while his owner travels.

I go home to shower, change clothes........then come back and hook the trailer up..head down to gas up the truck and then head to Fox Island to get Silk.
Hannah greets me and I see Silk is pacing......his horse girlfriend left a little earlier and Silk is upset. We go over feeding and emergency contact info and then load Silk up....he loads like a champ.......we hug and say goodbye, then back on the road.

I turn the music up......listen to Snow Patrol......then Michael McDonald.......such a gloriously sunny day. I get Silk home and unload him.......no fuss.....no one calls and he behaves like a gentleman horse......I put him in a pasture paddock by himself and plan that tomorrow he will have Grace as a companion...but today he will get used to the farm by himself. He shares a fenceline with Beaver and Tarbaby. Tarbaby is uninterested....Beaver wants his food. Yep..that is a day on the farm.

I had someone call me this morning.....leave me a message, saying it was URGENT. I call them back.....ummmmmmmmmm.....can you come and get my horse? Today? .........ummmm.........NO , I can't. Well, he has to go to auction if you don't take him. Why?
Because he is a stallion and I can't keep him.
Oh boy.
Geld him.
I can't do that to him?
ummm......but you can send him to auction?
well, I can't keep him.
Geld him....I can send you a link for help.
Can't you just take him?
NO.
Why?
No room....we are full.....stallions are hard to place.....hard to keep with mares.
You are a rescue.
Yes, we are..but we are full...we have a capacity....we are not flush with money to take every horse, I wish we could...but we can't.
You suck.
Thanks.
I hang up with that.
Guilt...they hope to heap guilt on you...and I do feel bad..but I am just one person.I cannot help every horse. I wish I could. I wish I could help more........but we would need more land, more volunteers...I would need another job...more donations.......blah, blah, blah.

I refuse to let this tarnish my good day. I do some gardening.....wash some water tubs.....keep an eye on all prisoners.......there is a lot of napping in the sun...mutual grooming......snacking........a good day all in all. I talk my mom to town and to the garden co-op.....she has a good day too.

Pony Up fortune for tomorrow:

Truth is truth.....good or bad.......

No comments: