Sunday, February 13, 2011

Random Thoughts on a Sunday

Up early...in the shower, drink coffee...go to barn. The sun is out this morning which is a great surprise to me.....I expected rain. As I travel our country road I see a beautiful rainbow ending just there and then over there as I move towards it.....so beautiful this gift from nature. On down the road and I see the pony we feed......scrounging for the last bits of hay from the evening prior. I think I might throw her some hay on my way back home..who cares if they don't like it? I feel outspoken today...a pony needs to eat doesn't he? This year the pony doesn't look emaciated and I suppose the owners don't even notice, don't even care...but I do. If I have to get a second job, that pony will eat until the day it dies.

I get to our barn......horses are looking at their watches....you are like five minutes late! I let the chickens out, I feed the cat......I throw hay.......the donkeys are BRAYING......and then I dole out the grain. The pregnant mare softly whinnies.....and I feed her grain first...my heart swells a little to see that her leg is better and she is more relaxed with us and I pet her a while after I give her grain.

Beaver is throwing a fit.....he wants grain. I give him a handful...and I tell him that is it.....no more. He is fat......too fat...and he doesn't need grain...but it doesn't stop him from wanting it. We have nut cluster treats in the cupboard and I give him one of those. He loves them. They have almonds, honey and squash seeds.....I am sure they must be good for him. Winston bends his head this way and that, so he can have one too. Church turns his nose up....he wants a carrot.

I clean stalls, fill waters.........Ryan comes and we work on a few detail items......then I clean buckets....take the trash out.....and then I must head home. I have a dog psychiatrist coming to my house today........LONG story...no time for it today.......but I have a certain Bull Terrier who has issues....we love her to death, but issues are issues.....and they must be addressed.

I go back to the barn in late afternoon, and Erin brings us some local hay for our donkeys and Beaver (shhhhh...don't tell him its local!)...Christine E. brings us a check from LPSDC.....from their dessert auction.........Thank you so much! This will be used for a hay purchase this next week.

Cooper has settled in and he is eating well. He is a little worried ..but when I am doling the grain out, he suddenly has NO manners.....he bangs the stall and whinnies at the top of his lungs......I tell him to chill out......and then Max starts in.....and he can really bang the stall door. Max is huge.......Max needs more exercise.

I am thankful for friends today.....I have some of the best!

Pony Up fortune for tomorrow....

Rest easy..it is not an oversight.

No comments: