We are sad to announce that the foal was euthanized last night.
Here is a report from the equine hospital:
"The decision was made last night to euthanize the foal. He continued to struggle to get up, exhausting himself to the point he was unable to assist us in helping him get up. We felt the most humane thing for us to do was to end his suffering and let him go. We did a necropsy to determine what happened. He was infested with small strongyles. There was virtually no tissue on his small intestine that didn’t have scarring from parasite damage, live strongyles, and encysted strongyle larva. There was nearly no surface area left for absorbing nutrients. Without that, he couldn’t get enough strength to get healthy enough to start dealing with the parasites. Had we started a worming protocol, the toxic byproduct of shedding that amount of parasites would likely have killed him."
Rest in peace baby boy.