Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunny Sunday


Glorious sunny morning.........I get up at 6:45, make coffee, let dogs out, feed dogs and cats.......eat toast, drink coffee.....put contact lenses in and then hit the road. It looks like spring, feels like spring....well, sort of.....I still need a coat...it is ummm..........38 degrees........but it does LOOK like spring. My mind says SPRINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
I let the chickens out, barn cats out.........feed hay, start cleaning stalls and then the coat is gone. I am in my shirt sleeves........cleaning paddocks...........then the prisoners are grumbling and they want their grain. I serve it up with hot water and then clean some more.....empty garbage.......fill a water bucket or two..........take blankets off. This is the time of year.....blankets on/blankets off.........too cold at night to leave them off, and so the last thing of the day I do is to re-blanket....so much work when you are tired...but I couldn't sleep without knowing they were blanketed. It is so important for the old guys especially.
My hens are laying and I find three eggs........no, not in the nest boxes........but in the stall, on the hay bales and in a corner of the barn. Chicks will be right around the corner if I don't watch these sneaky banty hens.
The peacock thinks it is spring too.........he is fanning his great big peacock tail to impress the hens.......he really thinks he is a chicken. He stays side by side with one of the young hens and hey, maybe she doesn't know the difference?
The horses like the sun and the opportunity to roll in vestiges of mud....Vinny looks like a mud puppy. The filly has a fit when I take Beaver into the barn..........she bucks, she broncs...she kicks...........she has a temper that is for sure....such a girl.
Tarbaby enjoys his big paddock and he runs and bucks........like he is a two year old......then settles down to do some serious talk to the filly along the fenceline.
Ollie and Max enjoy the sun while one stands guard and the other sleeps in the soft dirt of the arena.
An eagle comes calling and the chickens run for cover. It is like a game of survivor for the chickens as of late..........either hawks, or eagles or coyotes...........
We have a visitor today........Betsy and she comes to visit Vinnie........she gives scratches and pats and he is a clown. He loves the attention.

Nice to meet you Betsy.........come back again.

I didn't get an projects done today..........but gosh I was busy all day........and now eating dinner, writing the blog and following up on emails.

enjoy your week.........

Pony UP fortune for tomorrow

Encourage excellence, embrace compassion and show kindness.

No comments: