Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday...still

I go to the barn........the SUN is out........it is 52 degrees!~ wah hoo!!!

I decide to de-worm everyone.............great idea. I deworm TarBaby first......no issues.....he takes it like a man. Then Church........umm.......well, he says NO WAY. I get a halter an put it on him......I have a hold of the lead rope.
He runs from the stall.
I cannot catch him.
He throws his butt to me, swings around and runs back into the stall.......
I follow him.........he spins in the stall and runs out.......not caring if he knocks me down or what........I go after him....he spins, he turns, he runs.........I reach for the lead rope.........he runs. ...I have the lead rope............he doesn't care......
back to the stall.
I have the wormer in my mouth....I grab for the lead rope and shove him into a corner. He blasts past me and I drop the wormer.
I grab a chain....which is of no use because I can't CATCH him long enough to hold him still for the chain. I am sweating.
I swear at him. ..something about his legitimacy.
I leave him stand a minute.
I reach for him again.........
I put him into a corner.......
I reach up and pet him.
He looks at me......then raises his head up as far as he can...eyeballing me with with a wild eye...ears forward........yeah....I can tell he is ready to launch himself again.
I say..."it is JUST a de-wormer, I am not killing you>"
I reach for the wormer which is in my back pocket now.......he attempts to run.........I pull his head around......the dewormer is in my hand and I lose a portion of it down my shirt.
I quick as lightening.......reach up and put the syringe into his mouth..........which is wide open.......and then he shakes his head.........I have wormer all over me and he has it all over him........I scrape it off my shirt and wipe it onto the inside of his lips.......he rubs his muzzle against my shoulder.
Did I mention Church is my OWN horse? Mine, with bad manners.......17H of mule like determination when he has a mind?
Good grief.
I am wearing most of the wormer. I have wormer on my chest, my hands, my cheek......and my pants leg.
His muzzle is yellow on one side. He is mad. I am mad.
I am really sweating.
Did I mention how big he is?
all over and he wants to be friends again. Do I have a cookie? NOOOOOOOOOOOO
He will not take a dewormer in his feed. He simply will not eat it. I don't like daily wormers. This is just a battle we go through. Sometimes better than others.......better when I have a helper.......I should have waited.......ahh......impatience.......teaches us a lesson.

Okay...I am done with him.......onto the filly.......no issues..........Vinnie.......well, he likes things to play with so he willingly takes the syringe.......although he is surprised at the taste and tries to spit it out.
NEXT>>
Ollie and Max. They both run from me, but consent to haltering and begrudgingly accept the wormer paste.
Beaver........well, he is small and strong.......but he takes his........he does spit a little out......but he got some.

phew.........what a work out.

onto other chores.

No comments: