Saturday, August 14, 2010

Suddenly Saturday

OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh, it was hot out there today. I got up early and went to the barn, worked in a tank top at 7:30am, cleaned water tanks, scooped manure....and of course, fed the prisoners. By noon it was 95 degrees. Hot for us Washingtonians.

The two new guys have settled into our routine, good manners, and they are both feeling better from very slight colds. Noah eats like a thrashing machine and Blue is right behind him. Both have big appetites.....but both are easy keepers and really don't need grain......still I give them a handful of timothy pellets to give them the idea that they are getting something that everyone else is getting. Horse psychology, huh? Otherwise there is a lot of complaining, stall wall kicking, general disturbance.

Today was a long day.....my Pony Up girls went with me and sold lemonade at Cenex.....and what a good job they did! We are invited back on October 23 to customer appreciation day to have a table and hand out flyers. Mark your calendars!

We also got Noah's mane and tail cut.....put Brianne on Blue as a test kid.......raked rocks and manure from the arena and had a couple of water fights.

The rooster has taken a dislike to most folks at the barn except me...probably because I am meaner than he is....I pick him up and hold him, which seems to humiliate him....then my mother also picked him up and held him for a while and he made for higher ground. He takes good care of the hens but we will have to lock him up while volunteers are around because he is a bully.

We had a new volunteer today.......welcome Abby and thanks for helping us.

Silk had a major fit about getting his fly mask on .....but finally we got it on him and he got sun screen on his pink muzzle....he hates the sunscreen and to add insult to injury.....we fly sprayed him too and he would have liked to convince us that in his 25 years, he has never had fly spray applied before.......ever. Right.

I got a look at one of the horses at the Humane Society.....one of the ones who spent two years in the clutches of Roni Meyers......I cried...openly. Surely this is one of the saddest things I have seen in my life. Recovery will take a very long time if he can recover at all.

Tomorrow.......the same chores all over again......manure ......feet to clean, water tubs to scrub, fly mask checks......and some brush to clear in the lower pasture.
we have someone who wants to come and look at Blue in the late afternoon....I need to lunge Noah......

As a reminder to myself......I need Adequan....Max, Grace, Blue and Tarbaby could use some.


Hope your weekend is great!

Pony Up fortune for tomorrow:

You can learn from your critics.

No comments: