Saturday, October 31, 2009

Saturday....the sun comes out for a while



I slept in a little......until 7:15...read my email, drank some coffee,let the dogs out,started somelaundry......grabbed some canned food for the barn cats and here I go.
Turn the wipers on,turn the radio up.......John "Cougar" Mellancamp......when you could still call him that.....singing.."Hurts So Good". I really like this station...but it is cutting in on my opera time. I like all kinds of music...sometimes get a little stuck on one thing for a while. For a while all I could listen to was David Gray.....then it was Rascal Flats, then Pavarotti.I guess I am fickle on any given day.
To the barn.
Umm.......the peacock greets me. I guess he didn't find his way home....or he thinks he is home.
I let the chickens out.........cats out.....throw hay. Horses want grain....I mix it with hot water. Everyone gets some.
New volunteer shows up.......Welcome Ryan! I talk to him a while and get him started....I let him groom horses while I pick paddocks.
I am in the midst of Yukon's paddock when I notice Max laying down in his......hmmm.
I watch while I clean.....he gets up....looks around.
Good.
uh oh......
he lays down again, flat out....groans loudly.
uh oh.
I go and get him up.
He is breathing loud.
I open his paddock and let him into the arena......walk him around.
He lays down again.
Kim arrives and I call to her to get his halter. I ask her to walk him while I call the vet.
I call two vets.....leave messages.
Go back to Max.......he is laying down groaning.
I am trying to think of how the morning went.......he was very anxious to eat....pawing and calling to me.
He must have eaten too fast.
He must have a gas colic.

I give him Banamine and we walk him in the driveway.
Julie, our vet, calls back......can't come......but suggests the banamine and a trailer ride while the banamine kicks in.

We load him up and go for coffee. He poops and paws. He is unhappy there is no food in the trailer. We are in line for coffee and he paws my trailer, making very loud noises and causing people to look. Kim goes back and checks on him. He has pooped again. Good!

We take him up to a nearby arena and walk him a little. A change of scenary is good.......he is a little sweaty......he rolls a little.......we walk him some more.
Thirty minutes later we load him up and take him home. He feels better.

Kim and I extend his paddock. I shovel more gravel for good footing. Kim puts fencing up. Max seems okay.
I work around the farm until four thirty.....then come home for a break .......He was hungry when I left....I gave him some beet pulp gruel.....no hay ........I will check on him again at about 6pm. Keeping fingers crossed.

So the day doesn't go as planned but stuff happens......we will get through it....over it.....around it.

The tractor should be delivered tomorrow and we can finish "tractor" needed projects.

Nice to meet you Ryan and sorry our day got cut short.......thank you for the help!

Of course, thank God for Kim......what a big help with a BIG horse. Thank you.


Pony Up Fortune for Sunday:

Next time you have the opportunity, offer up humility and kindness.

edited to say that at 7:30 Max is hungry and feeling okay....will check on him again tonight. :)

No comments: