Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tuesday and it has been a long day

Finally sitting down at 7:24pm......no more chores to do....well, I guess I do have some laundry to fold and put away....another load of wash to put in......but that can wait until I go to bed.

Can you believe how much it rained? A virtual constant deluge. Hard to clean paddocks and even if stuff doesn't usually leak......it does now. Water, water everywhere.... everywhere.
Horses have wet heads and so do I. Stalls are well used by horses who do not want to venture out and I can hardly blame them.
Chickens who stay in the barn all day and again, I can hardly blame them.

Yep, I looked at Craigslist again........simply horrifying........free horses, mares who are pregnant, stallions who are permanently lame......divorce sales........."I lost my job" give a ways.
Heartbreaking....worrisome. I feel helpless. My hands are tied. It is not even winter and we are already full, as are any of the rescues I know. Sad....and makes me emotional.
I know I must work harder to get horses adopted.......we have some great horses....we just need the right homes.
I don't mind holding onto a horse until the right home comes along....honestly I don't. It is always hard to let them go. You become attached, they become "your" horse and of course you want the best for them. A nice barn, a good paddock...........a big turnout....a lot of nice horse accessories and a kind owner. I know they are out there. ..but we are still in a bumpy economic time. Newspapers report that we are "out" of the recession but I think they must be writing from outer space. Where are things better? Which people have a steadier income? Who has full time secure employment? So many folks I know are just "holding on" to the job they have and there is no money for extras. I don't know the answer. Rescues are "just holding on" too......donations are down, adoptions are down.......cats, dogs, horses....all the same. Shelters overflowing, animals abandoned..... helter, skelter......a crazy time. Easy to make room for a cat or a dog perhaps but a horse? Hardly.

and so I highly recommend "sharing a horse"......sponsoring a horse, leasing a horse.....the cost is so much less when shared...and you will find the riding time about the same, unless you are a hard core, everyday rider. Maybe you always wanted to have a horse but you live in the city.....sponsor a rescue horse........one of ours or one of theirs from another rescue....come and visit........buy apples/carrots...brush, pet, walk........"your" horse. We would love it and so would they. It helps the rescue out and gives you something in return........it is also tax deductable.
Or find a reputable stable, if you want to ride.......help another horse owner out...share expenses......you might be helping that owner to be able to keep his or her horse.

I experience weather like today and I ask myself why I don't live in Arizona, New Mexico......Florida..... I love summer. Okay, I hate humidity.......but I love sun. ...okay, well I guess it can get too hot and I would rather be cold than too hot...but ...but.... I guess I want it all. I have traveled all over the world and I always say when I am coming home into Seattle........there is not a more gorgeous sight than the Puget Sound, the Islands and all of the greenery.........still true.....that is why I live here.

Pony Up Rescue fortune for tomorrow:

Love who you love.

No comments: