Monday, December 7, 2009

Monday.....monday...can't trust that day

It is COLD.......very cold. I run hot water, bundle up.......I am ON time for a change.....get to the barn, let chickens out, feed cats and make sure they are warm enough......then throw hay, swear at the crummy hay and how it flakes off and vow to never buy that hay again........then I go to Max and Ollie......take the flashlight........throw hay and ....umm.......wait a minute....Max's nose looks wet.....shine the flashlight closer and it is wet........with blood.......oh oh. Open the gate and give him an up close look......lift his forelock and oh my....a large gash in his forehead. This is not a scrape....it needs to be stitched. Thankfully the cold has kept it from really bleeding. Now I will be late........very late. I call in to work and tell them ......I am going to be late....sorry.

The vet comes, tranquilizes Max , then cleans up the wound and staples it, then stitches some of it. It is deep. We give him some antibiotics and I clean out his hay pile while the tranquilizer wears off. Ollie is standing close to Max and sniffing him like "hey, what's the matter?"

Off to work I go. On the way to work, I call Pierce County animal control.......because yesterday I saw a skeletal horse on a pasture........and I do mean skeletal. No fat, no blanket.......and in this weather it will surely die. Mind my own business? Nope. It is my business and yours too. You wouldn't let them do this to a child. I don't care if the horse is old, it shouldn't look like that.......a little extra care.......yes, but so what. IF you need help raise your hand.......or put your animal down. To starve is inhumane and let's figure out where we got that word........"HUMANE".......because surely it does not explain half of us. There should be other words.......I will call again tomorrow and see what I can do to help. That poor horse. I hardly slept last night.......

It is supposed to be record cold temps tonight. Kim came and helped me with feeding and putting chickens away.........well, she did most all of it before I got there. We also got some new hay and the horses and I are thankful. Good timothy...hardly any chafe.

Off for popcorn......

Pony Up fortune for tomorrow.........

It will appear out of the blue.......and you will realize the importance immediately.

No comments: